Parsi cuisine comprises of heterogeneous dishes that are as rich as the culture itself. The community is settled on the coast of Gujarat , and who have now migrated to Mumbai, from Persia are rich in culture, and traditions too. Parsi food is vivid and in India this has been accepted by the vibrant Mumbaikars too.
This is one of one of the most famous and richest cuisines in the worldand the liberal usage of spices, sweetness and tanginess are all a part of the imaginative cuisine . According to their world of cuisine the food is sweet, sour and spicy. That’s what Darius Madon, Exec. Chef Kaboom says.
I would say, Gastronomes should get a mouth feel of this sweet, sour and spicy; [khaatu-meethu-teekho] dishes. Lets Start with..
Sali Marghi (Chicken With Straw Potato)
Salli Marghi is a delicious Parsi chicken curry preparation. It gets its name from the deep fried potato straws (called as Sali) with which the curry is garnished.
- Chicken curry cut 500 gms
- Onions Sliced 2 nos
- Tomatoes Med 2 nos
- GGpaste 2 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder 1 Tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
- Dry spices [Cinnamon, cardamom, cloves] 1gm
- Salt To taste
- Sugar or Jaggery 1 sp
- Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Potatoes med. sized 2 Nos
- Clean, wash and pat dry chicken pieces, keep aside. In the mean time Keep little water in a Pan to boil and blanch the tomatoes.
- After 10 minutes, Peel off the skin, transfer to a blender jar and whip well. Keep the puree aside.
- Peel off the Potato skin cut into Straw like or Match stick like Wash well and put in cold water. Keep separate.
- Smear½ tsp turmeric powder and salt, and little GG paste with chicken and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add dry spices and allow cumin seeds to splutter, then add onions and ginger garlic paste.
- Stir fry till onion is golden brown in color. Add chilly powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, Turmeric and sauté for 5 minutes till the raw smell of Masala ceases. Add chicken and continue sautéing for 5 miutes.
- Now add tomato puree. Add little water and allow the chicken to cook on low fire. Add salt, sugar and vinegar and mix well. Top it with a pinch of star anise powder
- Keep little oil for deep frying. Just Before serving, when the oil is hot, fry the straw potatoes to crispy golden color and Garnish the chicken curry with a handful of the same.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.