Roasted Egg With Potato Biryani
- Potatoes – Large: 1 no
- Boiled eggs: 2 nos
- Basmati Rice: 250 gms
- Onions: 1 full
- Tomato: 1 full
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Hung Curd: ½ cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Shai Masala powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Cloves: 2 nos
- Cinnamon: 1 no.
- Garam masala: ½ tsp
- Bay leaf: 1 No.
- Lemon juice: 2 nos
- Raisins and cashew: 50 gms total
- Keep some water in a Pan to boil eggs, add little salt and vinegar to the water, lower the same and place the eggs in water allow to boil for ten minutes. By adding salt and vinegar, the eggs while boiling will be firm and the yolk and shell will not break.
- Take a reasonably large Potato, Peel the same cut this into cubes and place the same in cold water to cook. Once the eggs and Potatoes are cooked, then fully close the fire and leave them in a separate vessel with water for cooling.
- Wash, rinse and allow to soak rice separate. Keep some water in a Degchi, add few whole spices, salt and little ghee, allow to boil, add rice keep stirring all the time till ¾ cooked. Strain the rice thro `a Colander and drain off the water.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a biryani pot or a non stick pan. add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Cumin seeds will splutter and once you get the smell of the whole spices, Add sliced onions and cook for 4 mts.
- Now add tomatoes, mint, coriander leaves, diced potato cubes, turmeric powder, pepper powder, curry powder, Garam Masala, curd and little salt. Mix well everything. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered for 5mins. till the water has evaporated.
- De shell the eggs and fry the eggs as such in little oil, till you get a scaly effect on eggs. Remove from pan Add to the biryani masala. With the boiled potatoes. Mix well.
- Add drained rice, check seasonings. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, little ghee. Fried cashew and raisins Cover the degchi with a tight lid and keep on low fire for 7 mts. To cook.
Serve Biryani with Boondi Raita and Green salad
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.