Paneer Tikka Biryani
- Paneer cut into cubes: 500gms
- Capsicum: 2 no.
- Onion Med: 2 No.
- Rice: 250 gms
- Ajwain Powder: 1tsp
- Basen Flour: 2 tbsp
- Jeera Powder: 1tsp
- Chilly Powder: 1tbsp
- Biryani shan Powder: 1 tbsp
- Kasoori Methi Powder: 1 tbsp
- Daniya Powder: 1 tsp
- Chat Masala: 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder: 1tsp
- Chat Masala powder: 1tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- Hung Curd: 3 tbsp
- Refined oil: 3 tbsp
- Black salt: 1 tsp
- Salt: 2tsp
- Dry roast Basen flourtill the raw sell ceases. Marinate Paneer with little chillypowder, turmeric powder and salt without using any spoon. Toss the Paneer with Marination in a bowl
- In the meantime make a good tandoori mix for Paneer by adding half ingredients together in a bowl. No oil to be adde. Add only Mustard oil. Mix well. No lumps should be there.
Now add marinated Paneer into this bowl and blend well, so as the Paneer doesn’t get powdered. To this add dices or cubes of capsicum and onion, Mix well with Marination. Refrigerate.
- Now you can boil 1 ltr. Of water with spices like shajeera, cloves, cardamom and one bay leaf. Add presoaked rice to the water and allow to boil. Once the rice is boiled, Strain through a colander and keep aside for the water to drain off.
- Skewer on bamboo sticks Paneer, onions capsicums in alternate layers. Heat a griddle plate or a dosa Bathi and start grilling the skewered Paneer, capsicums and onions by basting with oil and turning on all sides to get even grilling
- Now its time to make the Paneer biryani masala. Heat oil in a Kahrai
Add oil .splutter jeera seeds, add onions sauté till golden brown add,
Tomatoes and continue cooking till soft and tender. Continue cooking with other spices and condiments. Fry well till the oil surfaces on top. De skewer Paneer, onions and capsicums and mix with the masala.
- Divide this masala into 2 halves. Into the same kahrai add half the tandoori Paneer masala, add rice spread, golden fried onions and fried cashews and sultanas. Then add the balance Paneer Masala and rice. Repeat with nuts and sultanas. Top it with fresh daniya leaves and mint leaves and seal with a tight lid. Keep for 10 mts.
Open the Lid, you hv an aromatic smell of real Mughal Biryani.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.