|Olives Green/ Black||500 gms|
|Green Chilly Darn cut||6 nos|
|Ginger fine chopped||1 tbsp.|
|Garlic fine chopped||1 tbsp.|
|Curry Leaves||I sprig|
|Kashmiri chilly powder||2 tbsp.|
|Guntur Chilly Powder||1 tbsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp.|
|Fenugreek Powder||1 tsp.|
|Mustard dal||1 tbsp.|
|Mustard seed||1 tsp.|
|Asafoetida Powder||1 tsp.|
|Olive Oil or Gingely Oil||4 tbsp|
|Pepper Powder||½ tsp|
- Choose olives of even size, wash and rinse and pat dry with a Kitchen towel. Cut the olives and remove the seed from it by cutting the olives length wise.
- In a glass jar arrange rock salt at the bottom, then spread olives, and repeat the process the salt and olives get finished. Keep the jar tightly closed and keep under the sun for 4 days.
- We are doing this process to soften olives and specially to soften the hard skin. On the fifth day we can open the olives by which time the water from olives would have oozed out. Separate the Brine water and olives and keep aside.
- Dry roast Mustard dal, fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds separately and grind to coarse powder. Keep separate.
- Heat Gingely oil in a Kadai, add asafoetida and fry the same without burning. Now you may add mustard seeds into the same oil, allow to splutter.
- Add ginger and garlic, curry leaves and sauté for 5 minutes on low flame, add all condiments, sauté for some time till the raw smell ceases. Now add the dry roasted and ground spices, asafoetida Powder, black pepper powder and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the Brine water and mix well without any lumps on low heat again and allow the masala to boil and reduce. When this is cold enough then add the Olives and mix well.
- Take a clean glass jar without any traces of moisture, add a tea spoon of gingely oil, transfer the Olive Pickle into the Jar tightly close the jar and cover with a cloth and tie the cloth with any strong thread. Keep this for a week The olive oil after 7 days may be opened and served with rice and dahi.
- Feel proud in serving it to your friends and relatives. I bet you Gonna LOVE it
- Plz. Note that Fresh Olives Black or green are available with AMAZON OR at Lulu super Market for Cochinites.
- In case you Get Olives in Brine , you can get the same but care should be taken to see that additional adding of salt may result in excess and so not edible.
- Olives normally are sour in taste, but in Brine it tastes better and so most of Bengalis and Maharashtrians make this pickle as sweet and sour Olive Achar.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.