The soft and succulent Galouti’ or ‘Galawati’ means melt in the mouth and definitely, these kebabs melt in your mouth. The Legend says these Galouti kebabs. were especially created for the ageing Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Lucknow who was never ready to give up his love for Kebabs.
The Bawarchis of the Royal Kitchen tried different recipes and finally landed up with this succulent and flavorsome kebab which is now the benchmark and of course with that in mind, people go for variations.
It was a perfect blend of meat, mild aromatic spices on a low fire. Its uniqueness comes from the slow preparation and layering of flavor in dishes. The aromatic flavor embedded makes this Unique Kebab, to tickle your taste buds and even tempting too.
The fresh non-fibry goat meat , the mild spices and the tenderizers make a world of difference and with the art of smouldering the meat for 30 mts, the kebabs are outstanding.
Invite your friends for a Tasting session and I am sure they are in for a royal treat.
|Mutton Kheema non fibry||500gms|
|Raw Papaya Paste||1tbsp|
|Fine chopped Daniya Leaves||1tbsp|
|Javithri Powder||½ tsp|
|Cinnamon Powder||½ tsp|
|Cardamom Powder||½ tsp|
- Take SS basin to hold the whole ingredients. Add kheema and other ingredients one by one.
- Mix all ingredients well to make it Homogenous. Keep covered for some time.
- Now spread the meat mix around the vessel and make a well in the Centre. Keep a 1½ inch diameter steel plate in the centre.
- With a tong take a glowing Koila or Charcoal in the plate, place 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and 2 cardamoms on top of charcoal and a tsp. of deshi ghee .
- As soon as the smoke start coming cover wth a lid tightly so that the smoky flavor doesn’t escape at all.
- The advantage is that by smoking the meat with spices, the mild aroma incipits into the meat. The smoky flavor that predominates is vivid in the kebabs.
- Keep an iron griddle, when its hot add oil on the surface to avoid the round Kebabs getting stuck to the griddle.
- Now place the Kebabs on the griddle and grill on a low fire turning both sides occasionally.
- When the kebabs are ready remove and place on serving platters with greens and Mint chutney.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.