There can be nothing better than a plateful of the archetypal `biryani’, made with a crustacean delicacy like Bay Breaker Prawns for the connoisseurs of food. It’s not Just biryani, The heart and soul of `Ummachi’s of the Royal Muslim community and their passion in making Biryani and other delicacies have gone into this laborious process with Pride and dignity.
The Biryani they make is beyond words for the same when opened leaves an aromatic flavor, the softness and the richness of Rice and Prawn infusion, the tanginess and the balance with a dash of coconut milk.
Lets Keep in mind Tumse Mohabath ho gai !!!!
|Prawns Med. Size [ meat ]||1 kg|
|Long Grain Basmati Rice||750 gms|
|Tomatoes chopped||3 nos|
|Coriander Leaves||100 gms|
|Mint Leaves||50 gms|
|Curd beaten well||3 tbsp|
|Cashew Nuts & Raisins [together]||75gms|
|Oil for sautéing / Ghee 1Tbsp|
|Coconut Milk||200 ml|
|Jeera Powder||½ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||½ tsp|
|Fennel Powder||½ tsp|
- Golden fry onions and keep aside. Devein Prawns, wash, clean through running cold water and pat dry. Add salt and turmeric.
- Fry the onions to golden brown color and grind the green chilly coarsely in a pestle and mortar, keep aside.
- Heat oil in thick bottom Degchi , sauté half the quantities of whole spices, add GG paste, ground green chilly and sauté for one minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and continue sautéing till the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Then continue cooking with chilly powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and fennel Powder. Add curd, lemon juice, and cook for 5 mts. On med. Heat.
- When the oil rises to the top add prawns and cook. Then add coconut milk and coriander leaves and mint leaves. Cook till the coconut oil has a fine blend with prawn masala. Keep aside.
- Now boil around 2 lts of water add whole spices add rice. When the basmati is ¾ cooked, transfer the rice to a ghee smeared degchi and level the bottom.
- Then add fried onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves and spread prawns evenly. Spread the remaining rice on top and seal with a tight lid and cook for 10 mts on low fire.
- Serve biryani hot with mint chutney, Mix Raita and date achar.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.