|Fresh Turkey meat after dressing||5 kg|
|Ginger Garlic roughly cut||100 gms|
|Carrots roughly cut||5 nos|
|Celery roughly chopped||3Sprigs|
|Bay Leaf||2 nos|
|De seeded Apple Roughly sliced||3 nos|
|Rock Salt||50 gms|
|Olive oil||500 ml|
|Tomato sauce||3 tbsp|
|Soya Sauce for smmearing||1 tbsp|
|Lemon Juice||2 nos|
|Fresh Parsley||2 sprigs|
- Clean turkey and giblets, wash them well and rinse through running water keep aside allowing to drain of complete water content. Tie the turkey Legs with a twine keeping it cross legged.
- Wash and clean all vegetables and fruit, all leafy vegetables too.
- Mix all Ingredients in a large tray which can hold the bird. add olive oil and half of butter and mix well. Sprinkle rock salt in the tray.
- Keep on top of the tray so that all dripping from soya and lemon juice fall into the tray.
- Let this rest covered for some time. In the meantime, switch on the Oven and set the temp .for 350 degrees, once this has attained the temperature, Keep the tray with meat and vegetables and grill the meat for 2½ hrs, basting with Butter and with sauce inside the tray. Check carefully if the meat is cooked after 2 hrs. with out much loss in temp.
- After the said time, your turkey will be cooked having golden glaze, nice aroma and a very soft texture.
- With the vegetables inside the tray, you can make a puree by mixing it in a blender. Add 120 ml of red wine and mix well. You can serve the Roast Turkey as such with Cranberry sauce. Since we don’t get Cranberries in Kerala, ready-made Cranberry sauce is available in food stores.
Enjoy your meal with your family.
For Lemon Butter Garlic Sauce
Sauté 4 cloves of chopped garlic with 10gms of butter and fine chopped Parsley Squeeze one lemon juice. Blend this with block butter of 100 gms and emulsify softly taking care that the butter doesn’t melt.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.