A Hyderabadi Murg curry with curd, Cashews and the different spices all play their vital roles in the making of this dish, that is widely accepted by the Indians and global gastronomes.
|GG paste||50 gms each|
|Salt & Pepper||To taste|
|Fresh Cream||2 tsp|
|Coriander Leaves||½ bunch|
|Chat Masala||1 pinch|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Jeera powder||½ tsp|
|Fennel powder||½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||½ tsp|
|Cashew Paste||2 tsp|
|Kasuri methi powder||1 tsp|
|Mustard oil||2 tbsp|
- Cut the chicken into even sized pieces, wash well & drain. For marinating, blend smoothly hung curd, GG paste, and all the condiments, Garam Masala Powder, Kasuri methi powder plus salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, add lime juice if required to make it more tangy. Blend in cream, cashew and Kalonji paste and mustard oil. And melted butter.
- Add Chicken pieces and evenly mix the marinade with chicken. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hrs. Transfer the whole into a copper vessel of 1½ feet height.
- Now cover the vessel with a lid and seal hermetically with Atta around and Dum cook the chicken from bottom and top by placing amber glow charcoal and cook for 45 mts.
- When your Atta is cooked and tight, Remove from fire, open the seal, mix lightly and serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves and golden fried onion.
- This is good with Garlic Roti as accompaniment
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.