|Chicken cut into small pieces [ chilly chicken ]||500gms|
|Whisked hung curd||½ cup|
|Dried red chilies||5 nos|
|Ginger-garlic paste||3 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Red chili powder||1 tsp|
|Panch phoran powder||1 tsp|
|Mustard Oil||3 tbsp|
|PANCH PHORAN MASALA?|
|1 tsp mustard seeds [ Rai ]|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|½ tsp fenugreek seeds|
|1 tsp nigella seeds [ KALONJI ]|
|1 tsp fennel seeds|
- Heat 3 tbsp mustard oil in a pan. Add panch phoran ingredients and asafetida in the oil and fry them until you can feel the sharp aroma arising from the oil.
- Add dried red chili fry them until it becomes tender and light brown , add ginger-garlic paste and fry them till the raw smell ceases .
- Now, add turmeric powder, red chili powder , curd and salt , mix well and Cook the masala for 2 to 4 minutes. Add Chicken pieces and blend well with the masala.
- Cook the chicken on high flame for 5 mts till outer layer of chicken turns brown like its grilled. [This is called searing of chicken.]
- Lower the flame and add panch phoran powder and mix it well. Cover and cook the chicken till it gets completely cooked.
- Chicken should get cooked in 15 minutes. The Achari Murg shall not be too thick but it must be a thin saucy consistency.
- Turn off the flame and add vinegar and mix it well. This is makes the gravy a bit more tangy. You can temper with white sesame seeds which is sautéed in 1tsp butter.
- This can be stored in clean air tight jars and use as an accompaniment for your meal.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.