The traditional soup that has a lot of medicinal values.for Invalids with acute leg and back pain & Women after delivery. In olden days the Grandmas of Kerala make this soup in larger quantities and store in earthen. A refreshing soup that takes off your stress and strain and fatigue .
The soup Is extremely nutritious, remarkably rich in protein and minerals, this Broth is full of healing compounds like collagen, glutamine, glycine, and proline and benefits the system in many ways both on the inside and outside. It imparts immunity and energy, aids sleep and improves memory.
- Goats Head [female]: 500 – 700gms
- Lamb leg [below the Knuckle] / with bone: 150gms
- Shallots: 100 gms
- Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
- Meat Masala: 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder: 3tbsp
- Garlic crushed: 2 tbsp
- Green chilly: 3nos
- Curry leaves: 2 sprigs
- GG paste: 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick [Med. Length]: 2nos
- Turmeric Powder: 1tsp
- Cloves: 4nos
- Cardamom: 3 nos
- Coconut oil: 2+ 2 tbsp
- Water: 2 lts
- Cut the goats head into smaller cubes, Wash goats head and the bones below the knuckles very well through running water. Keep this in a colander and strain off the water completely.
- When the water has been drained off completely, slightly roast the meat and bones on a griddle plate and brown the meat and bones, basting with coconut oil. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a SS vessel add garlic, Gg Paste, other spices, green chilly and curry leaves, shallots sliced ,sauté until the ingredients cease the raw smell.
- Add the meat to the ingredients , pour water, allow t boil .when the soup has attained the boiling temp. bring the fire to simmer mode and continue boiling.
- Add little more curry leaves and check seasonings. When the sup has reduced to 1500 ml, check if the meat is cooked, then your soup is ready.
- Slice a few shallots, and garlic, heat coconut oil and brown the shallots and garlic, transfer the same to the soup, cover with a lid. Keep for minutes and serve the soup into bowls with bread slices as accompaniment.
As I told the soup is stored as a concentrate in earthen pots after straining thro` a muslin cloth. When we store the soup, onions are not used, for the soup may get spoiled fast.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.