|Bread Slices||4 nos|
|Baking Powder||¼ tsp|
|Oil for frying|
- Cut the 4 sides of bread and cut the remaining bread slices into small
quarters, put it into a blender or mixer jar and powder.
- Remove the bread crumbs from the jar and pass through a sieve. Repeat
the process and get the fine powder, keep aside.
- Take a SS saucepan, add sugar and water, the water level should be
above the sugar level. keep on a simmer flame.
- Now blend well breadcrumbs powder, Rawa, maida, little baking powder,
add milk in a SS bowl and start mixing.
- This will now look like a crumble. And slowly with the mound of your
palm, start kneading softly and make a soft dough. Leave the dough for
half an hour.
- Heat oil in a Kadai to med. heat and with the dough, start making Jamuns
ball-like and then Proceed. In this, you can apply little ghee in your palm
while shaping the balls to avoid the dough sticking into your hand.
- Start frying the Jamuns beyond the golden brown color and Keep on
frying till you get dark black color. Do not overcrowd the Kadai by too
much of Jamuns while frying.
- Dip your Jamuns in the sugar syrup and let it get soaked for some time.
Incase if there is crystallization in sugar syrup, Place the pan as such
on the tawa or electric grill.
- Serve your Jamuns absolutely dry with Butterscotch Ice Cream or Butter
scotch sauce for a change.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.