Ahaana Grilled Chicken
|Chicken Breast Steaks 2 Nos.||280 – 300g|
|Soya Sauce||4 – 5tbsp|
|White Wine||1 cup|
|Salt & Black Pepper||To Taste|
|Ginger & Garlic||1tsp|
|Refined Oil||For Basting|
|Parsley / Rosemary Together||1g|
- Make chicken stock, using bones and trimmings.
- The supreme of chicken – Breast pieces to be washed thoroughly, drain and pat dry. Make Gashes on the chicken and marinate the chicken in a tray with soy sauce, salt & Pepper, tomato Concasse, GG Paste, all sauces.
- Cover the chicken with cling foil and refrigerate for twenty minutes.
- Heat oil in a griddle, on a med. Flame, Take out the chicken and place on the iron griddle and start grilling by turning it on both sides. At the same time basting with oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a serving Plate. Serve with mashed potatoes and blanched buttered spinach
- Allemande sauce in French cuisine based on a velouté sauce [ in this case chicken stock is used ] but emulsified with egg yolks and heavy cream, and seasoned with lemon juice.
Making an Allemande Sauce
Make a roux with equal quantity of flour and butter stirring with a spatula. Add chicken stock and stir to make sure there are no lumps. You can even strain the veloute when once it is ready and allow to simmer. Allow the egg yolk and cream on a double boiler slowly stirring with a wooden spoon. Once the sauce is thickened, add the same to veloute and your blonde sauce after fully emulsifying is ready. To get a sharp taste a wedge of Lemon can be used.
I normally don’t grill chicken, Fish small quantities in an Oven, as the same gets dried up. So I Prefer Pan or griddle grilling.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.