Tender Mango Pickle
|Tender Mangoes||3 kg|
|Rock salt||500 gms|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||250gms|
|Red chilly Powder||200 gms|
|Gingely Oil||250 gms|
- For making this King of Pickles, we start by making `Uppumanga` That is Mangoes in Brine solution. Select good quality Tender Mangoes,
- Wash them carefully. you can keep water in a Degchi and boil the same add mangoes for a second, Immediately take out and strain the water off. Now wipe the mangoes without any trace of moisture, Let the mangoes dry completely.
- Now take glass jar or `Bharani`[Earthen ware Pot], add little rock salt in the bottom of Bharani, then add some mangoes, and repeat the process until the mangoes and salt are filled in. Keep tightly closed for 10days.
- After two months the entire water in the mangoes would have come out and there will be a good blend .
- Now we will do the mis en place for the pickles
- The mustard dal may be dry roasted and when cold you may grind them to fine powder. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Heat the 300ml of Gingely oil in a fry Pan , add asafoetida and fry carefully with out burning. Remove the same with a Jarni keep on a plate allow to cool, and then powder the same.
- Keep the Kashmiri chilly and red chilly aside. Dry roast each spice separately and powder them.
- For making your pickle, strain the mangoes into a bowl using the Muslin cloth. Keep the brine water and Mangoes separately,
- Into the Brine, add both chilly powders one after the other slowly to avoid any Lump formations. The chilly powders should get emulsified with the brine.
- Then add mustard Powder and the asafoetida powder and blend well. Add the mangoes, slowly stir and finally add the gingely oil completely in which you have fried the asafoetida.
- Transfer this into two Bharanis .before tying the lid, Just touch your hand in 2 drops of mustard oil and rub on the sides where the lid will be placed.
- Place the lid, Cover the top with a good white cloth double-folded and tie the same with a twine or any good thick thread .write the date on the wall of Bharani with a marker. You can open the pickle after another 3 months.
- You will scream and jump out of your skin after tasting this pickle !!!!
- We apply the Mustard oil to keep away all insects and flies.
- The mangoes are put into boiling water for 1 sec. and taken out, so that all dirt is removed and the mango gets its sheen.
- Never keep Mangoes in Brine solution for not more than 7 days, `coz the mangoes will leave a colour change.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.