Aam Ka Sukha Achar
Dry Mango Pickle
|Raw Mango Cut into cubes||1kg|
|Chilly Powder||3 tbp|
|Ginger powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Mustard Seeds||40 gms|
|Fenugreek seeds||40 gms|
|Fennel Seeds||80 gms|
|Asafoetida Powder||1 tsp|
- Wash mangoes thoroughly in running water and pat dry them, cut into cubes, add salt and turmeric Powder. Transfer into a SS basin.
- While making this pickle , make sure your hands are washed well and dry, means absolutely dry. Now rub in salt and turmeric and the mangoes together with the above ingredient.
- After rubbing well , keep for 2dayscovered allowing the water to moisture to ooze out water. Take out the mangoes , transfer the mangoes to a glass jar , close with a lid and sundry for a period of 4 days [don’t throw the water,]keept it handy. By know your mangoes will be semi dry, don’t allow to dry fully.
- Dry roast 40 gms of fenugreek seeds coarsely powder them. keep separate. Now repeat the process with fennel seeds and Mustard seeds, after dry roasting these coarsely, transfer these into the Mangoes along with the dry roasted fenugreek seeds.
- Add 1 tsp asafoetida, hinge and ginger powder. Chilly powder. Mix well 2 to 3 times from bottom to top. Take glass jar big enough to hold the mangoes.
- Now heat a good non stick pan, add 150 gms of Mustard oil and allow to reach a smoke point. Once the oil is at the room temp. add this to the basin with the mangoes and mix well.
- Now the juice which we have kept separate in the beginning of this recipe mabe added to the mango pickle for the final stage. Mix well again and transfer to th jar, close it with a cloth and then the lid, The cloth helps bottle to remain tight. Shake well in the bottle and keep in sunlight for 4 dys.
- After 4 days take this back home and allow to remain in kitchen for 2 weeks untouched. you can open the bottle after this now and its ready for use.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.