Grandma`s Prawn Pickle
Traditional Kerala Cuisine
Ingredients for Marinating
|Med. Prawns deveined and cleaned meat||500 gms|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Red chilly powder||2 Tbsp|
|Fish Masala Powder||1 tbsp|
|Fenugreek Powder||½ tsp|
|Refined Oil or Bran oil or Sesame oil||For frying|
Ingredients for Making Pickle
|Ginger chopped||100 gms|
|Garlic net wt.||100 gmd|
|Green chillies, chopped||10 nos|
|Curry Leaves||2 sprigs|
|Oil – as above, after frying Prawns||4 tbsp|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Fenugreek seed||¼ tsp|
|Chilly Powder||3 tbsp|
|Fish Masala Powder||2tbsp|
|Black Pepper Powder||1 tsp|
- wash deveined Prawns in running water, drain water in a Strainer , Pat with Kitchen Towel and dry well.
- Marinate Prawns with the ingredients mentioned above in Column 1 [Ingredients for marinating] and keep aside for 30 minutes .
- In the meantime wash Coccum in cold water keep ina small bowl with water just above 2 level of Coccum.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the marinated prawn, till it changes the colour and becomes slightly crunchy. Place this on a parchment paper to absorb the oil fully.
- From this oil transfer 4 Tbsp. of fried oil into a new Kadai and heat. When the oil is hot enough, add mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- After the Mustard seeds get spluttered , add GG and green chilly and sauté well, when these are cooked well add Masala powders, cook well till the raw smell ceases.
- Transfer fried Prawns , Pour Vinegar and Coccum water and fry well. Add Half cup of Hot water and reduce to a thick masala Consistency.
- Your Prawn Pickle will be Yummy with rice or may be ari Pathiri
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.