A diversified cooking. Chinese food staples such as rice, soy sauce, noodles, tea, and tofu, and utensils such as chopsticks and the wok, can now be found worldwide. The preference for seasoning and cooking techniques of Chinese provinces depend on differences in historical background and ethnic groups. In China, food and its preparation has been developed so highly that it has reached the status of an art form. Legend has it that the culture of Chinese cuisine originated in the 15th century BC during the Shang dynasty and was originally introduced by Yi Yin, the first PM of China
As you know well Chinese cooking is done on a high flame,`coz , the cooking is faster as most of the food is stir fried. Chinese cooking techniques such as wok hei are as important in Chinese cuisine as the flame temperature underneath the wok to extraordinarily high levels. This must have been notice by you in many TV shows, where the flame goes high and the Flipping of the wok.
- Calamari Tubes Cleaned rings: 200gms
- Shrimps – Deveined and cleaned: 200gms
- Eggs: 2 nos.
- Rice cooked: 500 gms
- Sprouted Bean: 50 gms
- Button Mushroom sliced: 8 nos
- Red capsicum diced: 1 wedge
- Carrots small dices: 1 no.
- Celery Hearts stalk chopped: 3 Nos
- LeeksShredded: 1 no.
- Spring Onion Chopped: 1 no.
- Sliced Green Olives: 6 nos
- Sprouted Beans& Sesame seeds: 50 / 1tsp
- Light soya: 1 tsp
- Oyster Sauce: 1 tsp
- Salt & Pepper: To taste
- Sesame oil or Sunflower oil: 3 Tbsp
Mis en Place
Before we plan to make Calamari & Shrimp fried rice , certain pre – preparatory plans have to be done. First thing being, get fresh calamari tubes and shrimps from the local fish market and get the cleaned well. Blanch the diced vegetables
and Keep separate
Whatever you hv to buy from local & Veg. stores, Buy the same and keep it handy so that you don’t hv to run around. When Once you are ready with the normal procedures you can start the cooking.
- Keep a wok or any deep bottom pan on the flame and pou oil. When the oil is hot, add eggs and scramble the same.
- Add squid rings sauté for 4 mts. and then add shrimps. Continue sautéing till the shrimps turn pink. Add seasonings
- Lower the fire, add all ingredients including the vegets, celery, Leeks and Stir fry for a minute. Add half the soya and one spoon of Oyster sauce. Bring the flame Back to high level.. add Olives.
- Toss the rice and add spring onion and Leeks and continue stir frying the Rice and dish out when hot.
- Serve the rice with hot Garlic Sauce, chilly Vinegar.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.