As the WIKI says, Punjab, a state bordering Pakistan, is the heart of India’s Sikh community. The city of Amritsar, founded in the 1570s by Sikh Guru Ram Das, is the site of Harmandir Sahib, the holiest Gurdwara (Sikh place of worship). Known in English as the Golden Temple, and surrounded by the Pool of Nectar, it’s a major pilgrimage site. Also in Amritsar is Durgiana Temple, a Hindu shrine famed for its engraved silver doors.
Apart from that the Sikh community, are boisterous Warriors who guard our borders with the neighboring Countries, and save us from invasions. They are trained at the Sikh Regiment Centre.
With all values for Arts and craft, and for the cultural festivals, and the valor Punjab boasts of its culinary expertise which they have shown the world. and their culture. The gastronomes of the world hv accepted the Punjabi food that has a fine texture, flavorsome and above all The moth feel that matters a lot.
Patiala Murg Shorba
|Chicken dices||200 gms|
|Celery Heart Chopped||2 tbsp|
|Broken Wheat||2 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Cumin powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Owder||½ tsp|
|GG chopped||1 tbsp|
|Carrots chopped||2 tbsp|
|Cabbage Chopped||2 tbsp|
|Coriander Leaves||2 tbsp|
|Black pepper Crushed||1 tsp|
|Desi Ghee||1 tsp|
- Cut chicken into very small dices , wash well ,pat dry and keep aside.
- Wash broken wheat and strain and keep aside. Heat oil in a sauce pan, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- GG chopped and chicken can be added now , sauté well and add , broken wheat , all vegetables to the pan and sauté well. Continue cooking by adding , jeera powder, black pepper powder.
- Add 1500 ml. of water and allow to boil on a low flame. Remove the scum from top and let the soup boil for some more timetill it reaches the required consistency .
- Mean while remove scum from top. And let the soup remain on a low flame. Add Desi Ghee and coriander Leaves chopped. Serve Soup With roasted Masala Pappads. Serves 4 People.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.