Mutton curry Bengali style
“A good accompaniment with steam Rice or Parathas or Luchi.”
- Mutton: 1 kg
- Bay leaves: 3
- Green cardomon: 4
- Cinnamon: 1 stick
- Cloves: 4/5
- Mace powder: 2 pinch
- Onion slices: 3
- Onions paste: 2
- Ginger garlic paste: 3 tbsp
- Yoghurt: 1/2 cup
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder: 1 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli pwd: 1 tbs
- Cumin powder: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil: 1/2 cup
- Potatoes: 4 big size cut into two halves
- Marinate the big chunks of potatoes with turmeric and salt and fry in the shallow oil and keep aside.
- Marinate the mutton with turmeric powder, chilli powder and ginger garlic paste, with little salt, yoghurt and mustard oil around 1 tbsp and keep overnight or at least four hours
- Now add oil in the pan, add mustard oil and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the onion paste, ginger-garlic paste, sauté for two minutes
- Now add the marinated meat and other spices and stir fry for at least ten minutes, sprinkle little water in between and keep stirring.
- Now add two cup of warm water and cover the lid Cook it in a medium heat for at least twenty minutes.
- Now check the curry and cook at least for an hour in medium flame.
- Add the potatoes and cook for ten minutes and the curry is ready.
Currently residing in Kolkata, Shimu Dutta always had a keen interest in cooking and has perused this culinary journey over decades, learning different cuisines from different countries/regions and from people of all walks of life. Born and brought up in Guwahati and having subsequently lived in various cities of India and abroad, Shimu has been exposed to a various styles of cooking and a variety of tastes.
Having lived for almost 20 years in the city of Abu Dhabi, which is a melting pot of more than 100 nationalities, she got the opportunity to learn cuisines of various western and southeastern countries right there in their kitchens. Over the last decade, she has conducted Indian cooking at various embassies in intuition, she also conducts cooking class, done cooking shows in Assamese and Bengali channel in Assam and Bengal. Having doe several pop up too.