TOUCINHO DO CÉU
Chef Doyle Hugh Alphonso (Chef De Partie)
- 250 ml water
- 300 gms sugar
- 25 gms fig leaves ja
- 1¾ cups (250g) ground almonds, skinless
- 20 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring the water, sugar and salt to a boil in a big saucepan. Add the ground almonds.
- Stir gently but constantly, over medium-low heat, until the almond mixture starts to thicken and you can expose the bottom of the pan by stirring, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the yolks and eggs. Pour into the almond mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is firm in the center and the top is lightly golden brown, about 28 to 30 minutes.
Doyle Hugh Alphonso
Chef Alphonso is a budding young Chef who initially joined the IHCL family as a Hotel Operations Trainee and has grown into his role of Chef De Partie at the Goan – Portuguese seafood specialty restaurant Morisco at Taj Fort Aguada & Spa, Goa. He focuses on seeking out recipes now considered long lost treasures to adapt them into unique menus while preserving their authenticity. For the same reason, he has shared a well loved recipe, ‘Toucinho Do Ceu’ – referred to by the Portuguese as a slice of heaven.
A traditional Portuguese almond cake prepared by cooking ground almonds in a sugar syrup. This simple yet delectable dessert literally translates to “bacon from heaven”, and was initially prepared at convents, and is now a popular festive offering.