Sliced Mango Pickle
Chethu Manga Achar
|Mango Slices [ Chethu Manga ]||1kg|
|Chilly powder||200 gms|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Fenugreek Roasted & Powdered||1 ½ tsp|
|Mustard Roasted & Powdered||1 tbsp|
|Asafoetida Powder||1 tsp|
|Rock Salt||As required|
- Wash mangoes, Clean Sap on top rinse in cold water, pat dry with a towel and make sure there is no moisture content. Start slicing the mangoes , remove the seed.
- Take a clean glass jar wipe with a dry cloth and add one layer of rock salt , then the sliced mangoes and repeat the process until the mangoes and salt are added into the jar completely. Add 2 green chilly sliced,Keep closed for 5 days.
- Mean time you can dry roast fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds transfer into a dry mixing bowl and powder them. Keep separate in air tight containers.
- After 5 days open the jar and transfer the mangoes into a SS basin. Add Chilly powder and other condiments, asafoetida Powder and required amount of Brine water. Mix well. Keep aside. Add sugar
- Take a clean frying pan , which is free of moisture, heat and add sesame oil , Let the oil gets heated up till the smoke point. Add curry leaves& Transfer the oil into the mango mix, keep covered for 2 minutes, open and then stir well.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.