|Basmati Long Grained||500gms|
|Shan Masala [ avble. in stores ]||1tsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Black Pepper Powder||½ tsp|
|Cashewnuts & Raisins [ Each ]||50gms|
- Boil potatoes and chic peas remove skin. Grate Potatoes and mash the chic peas mix together, add salt. Chat masala, shan masala, finely chopped coriander leaves and little bread crumbs.
- Make a tight mix, make koftas and keep on a tray, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
- Golden fry onions and keep aside. grind the green chilly coarsely in a pestle and mortar, keep aside.
- Heat oil in thick bottom Deguchi, sauté half the quantities of whole spices, add GG paste, ground green chilly and sauté for one minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and continue sautéing till the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Then continue cooking with chilly powder, Shan Masala, turmeric powder, and. Add curd, lemon juice, and cook for 5 mts. On med. heat.
- Take out the kotas from refrigerator. Heat oil in a pan and golden fry the Koftas.
- Keep the tomato mix on fire, When the oil rises to the top add fried koftas and canned Mushrooms and cook.
- Add coconut milk and coriander leaves and mint leaves. Cook till the coconut oil has a fine blend with Kofta and mushroom Keep aside.
- Heat water in a Deguchi, add little whole spices, allow to boil. Add basmati rice and cook till the rice has ¾ cooked. Drain the rice and spread evenly in the Deguchi then add kofta mushroom masala and repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle shan masala on top, add fried Cashewnuts, raisins Keep on a low fire and dum cook.
- Serve this kofta biryani with Ladys finger Raita and Gongura pickle.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.