Murg Kalimirch (Pepper Chicken Masala )
- Chicken Dices: 500gms
- Onion Med. slices: 1 No.
- Green chilly: 2 Nos.
- Cinnamon ¼”: 2 Nos.
- Cardamom: 3 Nos.
Black Cardamom 1 Nos.
- Cloves: 3 Nos.
- Peppercorn: 2 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder: 2 tbsp
- Chilly Flakes without skin: ½ tsp
- Turmeric: ½ tsp
- Chilly Powder: ½ tsp
- Cashew Paste: 2 tbsp
- Hung Curd: 2 tbsp
- Cream: 2 tbsp
- Kitchen King or Shan Masala: ½ tsp
- Salt: To taste
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Butter: 10 gms
- Boiling Chicken Stock: 500ml
- Wash chicken dices well, rinse and keep aside. Wash cashew nuts and make a paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a SS med. Vessel, add all dry spices, sauté onions, gr, chilly, GG paste till brown.
- Add chicken pieces, slightly blend, and sauté for 5 to 7mts. Cover and cook.
- Add hung curd well beaten, on a low fire, sauté well, and continue sautéingafter replacing the lid for 3 mts till the chicken is blended with the Masala.
- Add salt, Black Pepper crushed, kitchen king Masala, red chilly flakes without skin and mix well. Now add half ltr of boiling chicken stock, mix well and allow to cook.
- Blend in Cashew paste and cream, Black pepper Powder mix well, keep the lid back & cook for 2mts.
- Close the fire, check for seasoning, add coriander leaves chopped, mix well and transfer to a serving dish.
- Top the dish with chopped coriander leaves, and black pepper powder. The accompaniment can b either a pulao or Chappatis.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.