The Possible Origin
The fabulous tale may have been inspired by Pu Tai, the jolly round Laughing Buddha carrying a sack. You often see those in Asian restaurants. Pu Tai was a legendary happy monk who wandered around China in the late Tang period, around 1000 C.E. He carried only a hemp bag for his meagre possessions but he freely dispensed his wisdom and good cheer. People believed him to be the incarnation of the Maitreya, or teaching Buddha, a very great being. Today, Pu Tai is displayed as a lucky token to attract money mentions Wiki.
|Minced Chicken||125 gms|
|Minced Prawn Meat||125 gms.|
|Fine Minced Ginger||1tbsp|
|Fine Minced Garlic||1tbsp|
|Shitake or Regular Mushroom||1 tbsp|
|Fine chopped Celery||½ tsp|
|Red Chilly Paste||1 tsp|
|Oyster Sauce||½ tsp|
|Thick soya Sauce||¼ tsp|
|Sesame oil||½ tsp|
|Any white wine||1 tsp|
|Wanton Sheets||12 nos|
- Mix all ingredients together using a wooden spoon in a bowl excepting the wonton Sheets. cover the bowl with a cling film and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Combine together 1 cup, all purpose flour, 2 tbsp corn starch, salt a pinch, 1 egg, well, add water and Knead well to a smooth dough. Keep ½ an hour covered, , and roll into circular form, Trim the sides and make square sheet. Cut the wrappers into 10cms x 10 cms size squares. Keep aside.
- Now take out the wanton wrappers one by one and place the filling in the centre, Place about 1-2 tsp of the filling in the middle. Wet the edges with water. Gather the edges towards the middle and gently twist and press to seal.
- Repeat the process with the balance mix and sheets. With blanched spring onion Leaves, tie a knot at the neck and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok for deep frying the bags, and when hot, fry the Bags into golden Brown color. Dish out the same into a serving plate and garnish with Chinese cilantro leaves.
- Sweet and hot Chilly sauce and Chinese chilly vinegar can be served as dips.
In case if you don’t want to the trouble of making the wrappers, readymade wrappers are available at the supermarket these days. Can be also served as a Cocktail snax , if the bags are made into little smaller sizes, with the same dip. And Finally , Who knows May be, Luck comes as Money Bags.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.