Dal Makhni is a staple and Versatile meal in the North Indian cuisine. A combination of Black Urud and Red Kidney bean [ Rajmah ] In a tomato-based Butter gravy, is full of, rich and flavoursome meal. This dish has been gained popularity through the Punjabi diaspora, who has spread the wings and has introduced the dish in unknown areas.
As the Punjabi diaspora migrated across, the dish was introduced to new locales gaining Global reputation. This dish is now recognized as an archetypal Indian dish, and variations of the dish are also accepted by the people.
All said and done, if you want to savor this dish, it goes without saying one should have it from the Moti Mahal Restaurant in Old Delhi where the creamy, Luscious dish is made. Let me take the words of Amul, this too is UTTERLY BUTTERLY DELICIOUS.
|Black Urud Dal||200 gms|
|Rajmah Dal||50 gms|
|GG paste||2 tbsp|
|Ginger & Garlic Chopped||1tbsp|
|Onion Large fine chopped||1 no.|
|Tomatoes ripe||2 nos.|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ tsp|
|Garam Masala||A pinch|
|Black Cardamom||2 nos|
|Tej Patta||1 no.|
|Green Cardamom||3 nos|
|Cumin Seeds||½ tsp|
|Ghee / 2 tbsp| Butter 1 tbsp||As mentioned|
|Kasoori Methi Powder||½ tsp|
- Wash and rinse Black Urud and Rajmah in running cold water and add fresh cold water, just above the surface and allow to soak overnight.
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes, allow to cool and remove the skin and blend well in a mixer.
- Strain the Black Urud and Rajmah and boil well by adding chopped ginger and Garlic, pieces of green chilly half slit. Add only little salt while boiling.
- Keep oil and Butter in a hot pan and add all spices, till the Cumin seeds splutter and the add GG paste and sauté for a minute along with the onions.
- Fry the onions to golden brown color, remove from fire and keep aside. Add jeera powder, Chilly Powder, turmeric powder, Garam Masala, bring back to fire and sauté for a minute , till the raw smell of masala ceases. Now add tomato puree and fy for 3 minutes, till the oil rises to top.
- Remove from fire and add the boiled dal to the masala and mix well. add required amount of dal stock, loosen and allow to cook. When the dish has the required consistency, we can remove the dish from fire.
- Top the dish with a dot of butter and a pinch of Kasoori Methi.
- Serve hot with Any Indian flat Bread, Onion slices, Lemon wege and Green. Chilly.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.