MUMBAI, MAY 31, 2022: Ahead of the occasion of World Environment Day, Indian Hotels Company (IHCL), India’s largest hospitality company, has announced a host of sustainability and social impact initiatives under its ESG+ framework, Paathya. In line with this year’s theme of ‘Only One Earth’, the company has undertaken tangible measures under Paathya’s six key pillars of Environmental Stewardship, Social Responsibility, Excellence in Governance, Preserving Heritage, Value Chain Transformation, and Sustainable Growth.
- EarthCheck Certification: 77 IHCL hotels are EarthCheck Certified for their sustainable practices, 57 of which are Platinum Certified. This year, IHCL has added 13 more hotels to participate in the certification process
- Waste Management: With the aim to minimize and manage waste, IHCL has established waste composters at 25 hotels in the past year to manage kitchen waste; thereby taking the total number of hotels to 67. This has ensured that the waste sent to landfills is minimized by 17,000 cubic metres, which is equivalent to 515 standard 20 feet shipping containers
- Green Footprint: With a keen focus on reducing its carbon footprint, IHCL has taken a pledge to plant a total of 1 lakh saplings across all its hotels this year, thereby laying the path for a greener future
- EV Charging: Taking forward the commitment of 5 per cent of hotel guest parking areas supporting EV charging stations, IHCL has collaborated with Tata Power and signed an MOU to install EV charging stations across its hotels
- Energy Conservation: By 2030, 50 per cent of IHCL’s energy to come from renewables
- Livelihood impact: IHCL aims to impact the livelihood of over 100,000 youth through skill building, thereby creating employability for the deserving and the marginalized
- Heritage: As the custodians of Indian heritage, IHCL will adopt 100 per cent of Intangible Cultural Heritage (IHC) projects in the geographies it operates in, in continued collaboration with UNESCO
Derived from the Sanskrit term पथ्य, inferring a path, Paathya aims to lead positive change guided by IHCL’s core values of Trust of all stakeholders, Awareness around the needs of our ecosystem and Joy at heart.