|GG paste||1½ tbsp|
|Sorrel Leaves [ gongura leaves ]||1 cup|
|Coriander Leaves||2 tbsp|
|Cinnamon stick||1 no.|
|Guntur Chilly Powder||1 tsp|
|Green chilly||3 nos.|
|Turmeric Powder||A pinch|
|Lemon Juice||1 no.|
|Black salt||½ tsp|
- Clean, wash, and rinse chicken and pat dry. Add little water to roughly cut Sorrel leaves, and allow to remain for some time.
- Marinate Chicken with GG paste, Little Black salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and a tbsp of hung curd and keep aside..
- Squeeze off the water from sorrel leaves, Blanch the same in Hot water for a minute, drain and wash in running cold water immediately. This can retain the gr. Color to a good extent.
- Heat oil In a pan and sauté dry spices, add slit gr. Chilly and the sorrel leaves and sauté well. Combine Chopped onions, condiments and add marinated chicken.
- Sauté the above, check seasoning allow to cook. Add a squeeze of Lemon. Need not add water, Check if the chicken is cooked and the Gongura Chicken is ready.
- Serve semi dry garnished with Fried gongura leaves and coriander leaves
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.