Total Cook Time: 01Hrs 15 Mins
Chef Rajneesh Kr Piyush – Sous Chef, Ginger Goa (Panjim)
- One full corn fed chicken, that’s around 1.5 kg.
- Olive oil- 2 to 3 TBSP
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Pinch of a mix of dried herbs
- Whole garlic pods – 6 to 7
- One lemon thinly sliced
- Freshly made chicken stock
- 8 to 10 baby potatoes (small ones)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 onions
- 1 carrots
- A brush of butter on top (optional)
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Stock your fridge with homemade chicken stock.
- Chicken stock can be made from chicken wings, carrot, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt.
- Grind your fresh herbs to release their flavor.
- Don’t salt your chicken way in advance, it will rob all the moisture away from it.
- Take the chicken with skin on, and remove the unmentionables.
- Take the garlic pods with the skin on, and smash them with a knife. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the lemon and the garlic.
- You can truss the chicken; many prefer to sew the chicken up.
- Pour the olive oil in it, and add the rosemary and thyme leaves.
- Crush them into the oil.
- Lightly massage the chicken with the flavored olive oil.
- Sprinkle a bit of the mixed dried herbs too. And some minced garlic.
- Then add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Now pour some chicken stock into the roasting pan (Get recipe: Fresh Chicken Stock)
- Add roughly chopped celery, carrots and mini potatoes.
- Then put the chicken in, it should fit snugly in the pan.
- Turn the chicken over once or twice in the middle.
- Let the chicken rest for ten minutes before you carve it.
Rajneesh Kr Piyush