In Punjab, “Near Amritsar, three rivers – Ravi, Sutlej and Beas – meet and they say Here you get the best fish in Punjab. The unique taste and preparation of Amritsari Macchi has made it popular across Punjab. The Punjabis make this recipe with the river fish. But in other states they make it with sea fish. This is good as snack too..
|King fish Fillets||500 gms|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||1 tsp|
|Hinge Powder||1 tbsp|
|Ajwain Powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger & garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Chat masala,||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper powder||1 tsp|
|Daniya Leaves||1 sprig|
- Dry roast Besan flour till the raw smell ceases.
- Clean, wash, Pat dry fish slices, Marinate fish with salt, pepper lemon juice from a wedge of Lime. Add Little hinge powder and little Ajwain powder. And ½ GG Paste. Keep covered for two hrs and refrigerate.
- Make a thin batter with Lemon juice, Ajwain, hinge and besan flour, Kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric powder and other ingredients by adding little water. Check for the consistency of batter.
- Take out the marinated fish fillets from the refrigerator and start coating the fish with batter. Keep separate for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish fillets to golden color. Arrange in a platter with doylies and add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve mint chutney and Sharpen sauce as dips.
Mayonnaise with coriander leaves, chat Masala and little tamarind juice, half tsp of Cream.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.