Kakori kebabs get its name from the district of Kakori , a village in the outskirts of Lucknow and the Kebabs are a refined Variant of seek kebabs. The rakabdars of the Nawab Hyder Kasim took days to find out the finer Version of sheek Kebabs.
Being a connoisseur of food, and the overt character of Nawab was known for his Pomp and Luxury . The Nawab used to throw Lavish dinners for his foreign diplomats and Traders. When, once a British Official made a satirical remark about the chewy texture of the seek kebab he had, the Nawab was disturbed badly.
The Nawab got offended over the remark. The fable goes in the way that the result is the creation of the world famous Kakori Kebab by his rakabdars, which has a mellowing aroma and the fineness of a succulent Kebab. Kakori kebabs are a great option for any meal and Impress your guests with this starter that is tender& smooth textured, and magical too.
Lets go with the Kakori Kebab. When the Nawab of Kakori was pleased and Happy with the Kebab, now let you too rejoice.
- Mutton (minced): 1kg
- Ginger- garlic paste: 1tbsp
- Salt: To taste
- Black pepper, powdered: ¼ tsp
- Coriander Leaves chopped: 2tsp
- Green chillies chopped: 2nos
- Raw pappaya chopped: 1tsp
- Cloves: 3 Nos.
- Black cardamom: 1Nos.
- Cinnamon, powdered: A pinch
- Cumin Powder: A pinch
- Black mace Powder: A pinch
- Nutmeg, grated: A pinch
- Crispy Fried Oninons: 100g
- Basen Flour: 50g
- In a large bowl, Keep mutton Kheema and add other ingredients one by one.
- Add browned Onion powder and mix Well.
- Mix all ingredients together to make it Homogenous. Keep covered for some time.
- Now spread the meat mix, around the vessel and make a well in the Centre. Keep a 2 inch diameter steel plate in the centre.
- With a tong take a glowing Koila or Charcoal in the plate, place 1 cloves, 1 small cinnamon stick and 2 cardamoms on top of charcoal and a tbsp. of deshi ghee .
- As soon as the smoke comes cover with a lid tightly so that the smoky flavor doesn’t escape at all.
- The advantage is that by smoking, the meat with spices, the mild aroma incipiates into the meat. The smoky flavor that predominates is vivid in the kebabs.
- Now after the smoke ceases, start skewering the meat evenly and cook in a tandoor or preheated Oven or on an iron griddle.
- Plz. Note that the Kebabs should be grilled on a low fire.
- When the kebabs are ready, remove and place on serving platters with greens and Chatpatta chutney.
Chef Nandakumar Menon or ‘Chef Nandu as he is known evolved into the Super Chef series. He was at the CASINO HOTEL in Kochi and later at the remarkable COCONUT LAGOON in Kumarakom. Both iconic Hotels and restaurants of repute for the quality and consistency of food offered at their restaurants. Coconut Lagoon where Chef Nandu headed the kitchen moulded him to cater to international clientele from all over the world coming in to experience the magic of the backwaters of Kerala and Kerala itself as a unique destination.
From his early Catering Technology days at Adayar, Chennai and training at the famed TAJ MAHAL INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL, Mumbai, Chef Nandu was back again at the Welcome Group’s ADAYAR PARK INN, Chennai.
Later he headed the setting up of the various F&B outlets of the ABAD PLAZA group, Kochi as its Corporate Chef.
And then with the Quilon Beach hotels, Chef Nandu created a redefined art of culinary expertise. His clientele were Doctors, Cashew businessmen and of course celebrities from the tinsel world, the cloyed connoisseurs had a different feel with his nouvelle cuisine.
He still loves to cook and share his valuable experience of the world of food with The Daily Brunch and its readers in our series on SUPER CHEFS.